Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Days 6 & 7

Day 6 there was an all-day, huge dust storm with winds averaging 35-40 mph, and gusts of 60-65 mph. Walking outside felt like tiny pins were hitting you and no matter how tight you kept your lips, grit got in your mouth and eyes. The sky was orange with Lubbock dirt and the average visibility was less than 1 mile. Needless to say, I didn't venture out for pictures, and we barely made it to church that day! So...I decided to drive around a little today to find my last pictures of beauty. I was worried that I couldn't top the sunset (my favorite so far is the sunset behind the silhouetted pecan trees) but this gorgeous cactus, growing in my neighborhood, has caught my eye several times. Most of the plant is dying off thanks to the deep freeze, but there are several parts (are they leaves? what are these things called anyway?) that look like they're going to pull through, and have been enjoying the sunny days as much as I have!




And this one is kind of cheesey and weird, and totally out of place. But I have to say I really appreciate these stoned murals on the sides of overpasses. Freeways can be such hideous things, but I really like that the designer decided to make this one pretty. (And I'm glad Lubbock ok'd the cost). This particular overpass is in a really UGLY part of town, where there are far too many run down telephone poles, old, dirty shops, trash everywhere, and construction tape and barrels all over the place. (Slide and 33rd/34th for you locals) Seeing this salute to the cotton industry here always makes me smile. I've shared this sentiment with Nich, who thinks I'm kind of nuts, ha ha ha!


 And Oliver rough-housing with his daddy. I think Nich's teaching him a few wrestling moves from his high school days :)

No comments: