Saturday, July 13, 2013

Buddy Walk T-Shirt Design


 I was asked to design the T-shirt for this year's Buddy Walk put on by the various chapters of the National Down Syndrome Society. To the left is their logo. They wanted the shirt to have the logo prominently displayed and several words of inspiration written on the shirt, and all in blue and yellow. Otherwise, I could design whatever I wanted. Sounded like a bunch of fun to me! Because the walk in this area is in Waco, TX, I decided the shirt needed to have something "Waco" on it and discovered that Waco is known for having a giant, beautiful, and recently restored bridge crossing the Brazos River. Apparently weddings and all kinds of events are held on this famous bridge.


For those of you who, like me, didn't know this bridge existed (2 of them, side by side!) here it is!


 It is a long cable suspension bridge known for its ornate entrances, huge "U" cable, and "V" support railings.














It is HUGE and truly a thing of beauty!












So, I decided this needed to be incorporated somehow, so I drew a very stylized picture to frame their logo nicely and then included words I thought were relevant to the walk. After sending in a few drafts, it was decided a sun should be around the logo. It's a bit on the busy side, but I really like the way it turned out! It's a fun, playful design for a T-shirt. And thanks to a new app I bought for my iPad (ArtStudio) I was able to get it done in an evening. It has all the cool parts of Photoshop without the price tag and is a bit more user-friendly.



I had so much fun with this project, and am looking forward to my next project...creating a logo for a new chapter of the National Down Syndrome Association!

I know I promised to update every week...that hasn't happened. It's not that I don't think to do it, it's that I have nothing interesting to blog about, ha ha ha! Hopefully that will change soon.

2 comments:

Upside Down Girl said...

So creative!!! you'll have to show me this app...sounds interesting :-)

Liz said...

good design! It all flows nicely together. Yay for creative juices! Actually, that sounds kind of gross...but you know what I mean!