Thursday, July 14, 2011

Watercolors Take One

Here's what we did this morning...watercolor! Watercoloring with a 22 month old is fun! He's super fast and loves dipping the brush in water. Can I just say, EVERYTHING has to be taped down. Oh yes. He was fascinated with black. Everything was in black, so I finally taped over the black paint so he had to choose another color. I'm pretty sure it's because that was the color easiest to reach, but I know his favorite color is purple, so not sure what the obsession was. Anyway, here are the pictures.









The finished artwork! I think they look cool! I took them away from him before he turned it all into a big muddy mess. This way you can still see the colors he chose, and he wouldn't get frustrated with soggy paper. We used real watercolor paper, and a step up from pigment-lacking kid's paints.

Since it was art day, I decided to go ahead and make a little project...Oliver loves 2 apps on Nich's phone that are basically like the game "Memory" where you flip over cards and try to match pairs based on your memory. He can do 16 cards now, so I decided to get him a set. Rather than buy them for $4, I made these for free with cardboard and crayons, and with Oliver's input on the pictures.

We played a few games with 12 pieces, but he has trouble with putting cards back in their original places after looking at them - something the iPhone does automatically. It's great seeing his brain at work and learning how to play a game with another person!

2 comments:

Upside Down Girl said...

yay! A turtle for Auntie Em!!!

Karen Coleman said...

Wow....so mush fun. We have not tried watercolors yet. Maybe that will be soon. I am very impressed by your homemade memory cards!