Sunday, August 11, 2013

Butterflies

After writing that title, I realized some people may think this is an insightful post about how the life cycle of a butterfly is a metaphor for life. This is not. It's just about the project we did today. Paint butterflies! Or maybe creating our own Rorschach Tests, however you want to see it. (I saw butterflies, Nich saw kidneys...I saw a heart, Nich saw a fat woman ready for a pelvic exam...)

When I got out the Tempera paint, Ian immediately began stacking the bottles - his favorite thing to do right now! And if I have a chance, the next post is going to be pictures of all the things Ian has been stacking lately.

Step 1: Pick colors

Step 2: Dribble dots of paint all over one half of a folded piece of construction paper. (Yes, my 20 month old was doing this by himself...he's getting much better at following simple commands!)

Step 3: No no, don't spread it with your fingers...

Oliver doing his dots

Step 4: Fold paper back in half and pat or smooth it with your hands. This was the boys second favorite part...I wish I'd taken pictures of Ian going to town on his paper. He was beating his papers with a huge grin and lots of sound effects! I was too busy watching them and laughing along with him to get pictures.

Step 5: Open the paper and see what you created! The favorite part for both the boys. No matter what part of the process the boys were in, when there was a paper ready to be opened, the other would stop, hold their breath, and watch in complete awe! Oliver was always very careful in opening his paper. Ian would almost rip his apart with his excitement! 

Step 6: Repeat above steps!

We made quite a few of these butterflies! Aren't they something?? I love this project because it offers immediate results, always looks cool, always looks different, super easy for kids, and cheap cheap cheap!

Pardon the messy kitchen counters...



It's a great chance to teach words like, "half," "symmetry," "cool colors," "warm colors," "complimentary colors," etc. We didn't do that this time, just enjoyed the process. Maybe next time I'll make it more of an academic experience.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Those turned out really neat looking and I can just imagine the fun they had doing it!