Friday, July 20, 2012

Fubber!!

Actually, in our house we say (in our loudest, monster-voice, FLUBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!) For this summer, and now that I have a handle on things what with Ian being mobile and more independent, I'm back to doing cool stuff with Oliver. At least he thinks it's cool :)  So, while hanging out on Pinterest one night, I found an interesting "project" to do with kids where they drop food coloring into a pan of corn starch. We did that, and it wasn't nearly as cool as Pinterest claimed it was...but Oliver had a good time for about 45 minutes. I decided to search online for other things to do with these two materials, I came across a recipe for "Flubber," a rubbery, oozy, solid-y, weird substance that looks and acts just like the movie of this same name. Except not alive. Thankfully.

MIXTURE 1
2 bottles of 8 oz Elmer's school glue
1 1/2 cups water
any food coloring

MIXTURE 2 (in separate bowl)
1/2 cup warm water
3 tsp Borax

Mix 1 with 2

It's cool! It's cheap! It stores well in the fridge in an airtight container! It's also toxic so no eating and wash hands after using it...

We made red flubber a few weeks ago (actually more pink) and this time we made blue. A weird property about flubber...you can break it into a million pieces, stick it back in the container, and like the bad metallic Terminator from the movie, it all congeals back together, like a liquid, yet it's like a solid. It's fun and Oliver got to learn words like "liquid," "solid," "congeal," "viscosity," and "weird."

Apparently pictures taken on my phone won't turn around. I don't get it and I don't like it. But it is what it is.



I guess just turn your computer on its side :)

1 comment:

Upside Down Girl said...

Cute! did you guys making any cool sculptures?