Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Things I now know...

So, we heard it all before having our little boy - all the horror stories of "real life" when bringing home a cute little bundle of joy from the hospital! We kept thinking, "why are these people trying to rain on our parade?" even though we knew everyone was good intentioned and trying to prepare us for the less glamorous side of having a baby. While our little Oliver is a beautiful, cute, pretty quiet, little guy with only the occasional outbursts where he can't be comforted, I can only imagine how rough it is to have a baby with colic who can't be soothed for hours at a time (I hear I was that baby, yikes!) It is amazing to me that even though he is such an easy-going, awesome little man that there are a few things we now know about having a little baby that I never truly understood before but are oh so clear now!!
I now know...

1. why they use sleep deprivation as torture
2. why parents have so many pictures of themselves sleeping with their sleeping or awake baby strewn across their bodies
3. there aren't enough under-eye treatments and highlighters to hide these dark circles!
4. why new parents are never able to get anything done, including showering and basic hygiene
5. why microwave dinners were invented
6. why the microwave was invented...add to that list - washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, pacifier, and giant vibrating baby swing!
7. grandparents are my best friend
8. a baby's cry has everyone running to the source to make sure everything's ok, including dogs
9. baby poop comes in a variety of colors and consistencies, the colors were the coolest
10. The weirdest and cutest sounds come out of babies, and sometimes you never know from which end...or maybe it was from the middle...
11. you can't get enough baby pictures because they grow too fast!

Our little Oliver is so worth it and as my mother correctly says, "Time with a baby flies, but the hours can drag!" That is so true, especially the night time hours ha ha ha! A big thank you to her for taking Oliver last night so Nich and I could sleep (woohoo!) and a big thank you to Nich who took him the night before so I could sleep after 5 nights of sleep in 30 minute increments :)

2 comments:

Cluff Chronicles said...

I love the quote your mom said! It is so true. I can't wait to meet little Oliver!

Anonymous said...

My undereye circles still are not gone.

Very cute post! Isn't it just amazing to be a parent?